Friday 13 June 2008

Canvas Niche Swap & Dog Sitting

I finally finished the canvas I was doing for Nikki B, it is already two weeks overdue but she was running late too so that worked for me! The swap was run on Inkredibly RT (which is open for new members BTW! International as well as Australian - great place to do swaps and get inspiration). Here are some pix. It was hard going but I am happy with the end result. I decorated the front and back of the canvas.



I just found these buttons at an opp shop a few days ago and they seem perfect for the canvas.

When WA Salvage was closing down they had some Rub'n'Buff that was going cheap and this is one of the colours - Sapphire - it is done over good old texture paste and has some silver wax rub-on over the top.

At the beginning of the project I ran some silver shim through the Cuttlebug and rubbed the same colour paint as the canvas over the top. It looked quite nice and I really wanted to use it in the piece. It wasn't until the very end though that I found the right way to use it. This is the inside edge of the frame which was looking a little daggy compared to the rest of the canvas.
Just the right place for the remains of the shim. It also appears behind the silver buttons.


As usual with a piece of artwork that is a one off and I have put alot of effort into I will be sad to see it go. The consolation being that I know it is going to a loving and appreciative home.

If you live in the Armadale/Kelmscott area in Perth you will probably know of Cotton Wool, the local craft shop. I had opportunity to go in and have a good look around a couple of weeks ago and unintentionally overheard the owners talking to another customer about the Greyhound As Pets (GAP) program. As we are a dog loving family the conversation peaked my interest. The lady was talking about the fact that there are 20,000 greyhounds a year in Australia, put down because they are no longer race material. What a sad statistic. As we were going to look after a friends greyhound for 5 weeks I was also interested to hear what she said about their nature. They call them the ultimate coach potato. I had always had the impression that they were energetic dogs because they race but that couldn't have been further from the truth. I will post some photos as soon as I have some good ones.

Off to Agility training with Woosha and Jess now.

Have great weekend,

Ky

1 comment:

Julie H said...

What a dreamy canvas, how clever to do double sided - and your photo's are fantastic.

Interesting about the greyhounds, I know trail hounds have a similar reputation in England, I think perhaps the fact they have to be muzzled to walk gives the wrong impression.

Look forward to hearing how the visitor goes.