Friday 20 June 2008

Treasures

Earlier this month we here in WA had a public holiday long weekend. On the Monday we made the trip from Armadale to Toodyay (about and hour and a half) to see the MIL and her husband. She lives just out of the town on 5 lovely acres. They have recently done some renovations and that is where the treasure comes in. In the bathroom there was quite a bit of pressed aluminium which looked a bit much in such a small room so they removed it. It wasn't till I saw it in the rubbish heap that I found this out of course. Next to all this wonderful metal was the metal strapping from some wood which had rusted wonderfully and a lovely piece of verdigrised copper pipe that I know just what I am going to use it for. I am sure Ed (MILs' husband) thinks I am a complete lune hunting through his junk heap! What is worse is that now when we go my 7 year old son goes looking for treasure not only for me but for him too! DH just sighs, the girls can't wait to find out what I am going to do with what we find and the MIL is envious because I get to take it home and she isn't allowed to keep it! I have bought myself a pair of cheap tin snips and have alraedy set to cutting up the metal into pieces for later altering. I gave one piece a go with Alcohol Inks and it does look nice. I attached it to a piece of thick card board for what I hope will be a journal cover. I will post a pic when it is finished.


The next treasure is Harmony, the dog we are looking after for 5 weeks. She is just lovely. So affectionate and gentle, great with all the kids (13 -3) and likes nothing better than a snuggle in front of the fire. She gets on great with our boofy boy Woosha too which is great for both of them as they are usually 'only dogs'. Here is a pic.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Ky

2 comments:

Julie H said...

That IS treasure - lucky you Kylie. Off to spend an afternoon in the art room now you have inspired me to cut tin.

It is wonderful having friends to dog sit - I am blessed with a great family down here, so know how blessed your friends must feel.

Dawnie said...

Sounds like precious treasure to me Ky.It certainly looks very cool and i applaud you for training the children with grand thoughts of recycling found treasure.
Lovely poochie !

Hope to catch ya soon
Dawnie xxx